January 25, 2018

Phoned-In Obsession

They say that in adulthood, you are well-served to look back at the things that you loved as a child. Your favourite book will tell you a lot about yourself - that one you carted around everywhere and insisted everyone read to you until it looked shaggier than a mange dog. We are still that person in a lot of ways.

I was just remembering my love of phones. I always wanted a phone. I was obsessed with how American girls on sitcoms got phones in their bedrooms. Hamburger and lip phones were coveted. I would get an old rotary phone and take it to school - not just primary but high school (different phones). I would be out at dinner with my parents and be pretending to take a call from my agent on my flip-cell in 1994. Once in high school my mum took my fake flip off me and started having phonesex with the guy I was 'talking to'. To this day you can bet your ass I would take a corded phone out in public just to confuse people. 
 
What is it with me and phones? I used to be allured by walkie-talkies and CBs too, which felt like secret worlds. Like electronic psychic power. Broadcasting, long before such a thing was ever handed off to us in the form of the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment