January 10, 2017

The Sound of One Vocal Cord Strumming

It's funny how we all grow up hating the sound of our own voices. Don't assume a singer or voice actor is exempt - we start putting our stuff out there before we become fully okay with our true sound.

I realised today I can listen to myself sing now and just take lessons from it. I can have one of my voice-overs play in a room full of people and not cringe. It's just a sound byte, a measurement stick for where I was at when it was recorded. I take little mental notes to help me adapt, and only cringe if I'm really disappointed in my performance. 

I guess I stopped linking my voice to my sense of real worth. It's my tool that undergoes constant calibration, experimentation, and risk. 

There simply is no other way to get what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment